Sunday, May 02, 2010

Random shots from a Sunday drive .......


Blooming cactus ....


We took a drive today because ...... it was windy, windy so had to be indoors anyway and we are getting cabin fever waiting on our new motorhome. We started driving on a dirt road north of town & kept thinking we'd run into something ... a town or whatever. The road got worse & wash-boardy & no towns. But the farther we went we hated to just turn around so kept going. Ended up driving 75 miles!!!! But the scenery was wonderful and the car held together!
The age of a saguaro cactus this size is kinda hard to do. I've read that they don't even start branching til after 50 years and if it has more than 5 arms, it is probably at least 175 to 200 years old! Fascinating!

John thought these people just hung their clothes on this tree to dry ... but I saw a sign that did say "Garage Sale"!!

That little white speck in the middle is a tombstone but we could find a way to get to it. Everything along this road was fenced and all the side roads had closed gates that said "No Trespassing". Extremely frustrating!!


Totally different scenery as we kept going.

And it was all open range .... kinda good that the road was wash-boardy - it forced us to go pretty slow. That's how I spotted the roadrunner below and when John stopped, he did too, waiting to see what we were going to do. I took it thru the windshield & we started to go again, he was off like a shot!

These were different - we saw lots of walls like this but this one was the only one that "broken". When I look closer, it was actually bales of hay that had been cemented over.


And thistles ...


No comments: